Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"You Stay Classy . . ."

I took a week off from blogging and I think I should make a habit of doing that more often. If I plan on letting myself take breaks, and justify it with the idea of Sabbath, there is less buildup of Catholic guilt. It was good to breath some fresh air, develop inspiring ideas, and sit in on deep conversations, but in the meantime . . . it's time for Jazz.
Being a theologian I admit, I do love the realm of religious classical music: Bach is bombastic, Byrd is mezmorizing, Pärt is like Pentecost, and Gregorian Chant is on my playlist for running. But the mortar to my theological life is jazz.

Jazz is a beautiful form of music and I am so thankful for an evening of swing between thick tomes of dead languages and monolithic theologians. Chris Botti, Bill Evans, Miles Davis, usually fit the bill, but with Tübingen rapidly approaching I thought I'd get back into the German swing of things.

Frank Sinatra was cool, Sammy Davis Jr. was schnazzy, but Roger Cicero is just plain and simple a classy gent . . . and German, which obviously makes him easier on the ears. At least to me. Give him a listen and tell me that German and big band swing music do not go together.* So ladies find some pearls and gentlemen snag a fedora, and move your feet a bit; we're about to get classy.

Frauen regier'n die Welt (Women rule the World)


Das ganze ist ein Zoo (The whole life is a Zoo)

Tübi Wörter
die Gegend: area
teilen (teilte, geteilt): to share


*For some reason unknown to me, Cicero's new album is the same great jazz he usually does, but its in English. It's good jazz, but he's German. Why doesn't he sing in German? It's a beautiful language.

No comments: