Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Back to School


Catholicism and Beer go very well together. This is proven again as I am living with a Catholic priest and going to land of Beer (Deutschland) ever-rapidly. The combination of Tübingen and living at Fr. Jim's is perhaps the best thing to academically ever happen to me.

Tübingen starts in April and that is where I am taking the bulk of my semesters courses. In the meantime, I'm putting my slippered feet up and reading Balthasar and Dostoevsky while taking half a German class and Church and Spirit with Marko (ecclesiology). I feel like I'm on break and its wonderous. This schedule and place are offering me many opportunities for me to grow in my prayer and my studies.

Because the school year is starting, I think everyone needs to know how they can let their mind breath during the time they aren't in class as well as to prepare them for their studies. So my suggestions for someone to academically revamp themselves are . . .

5 Supplements to Studies (according to Sam)

I. One good book of literature or poetry. Mine is Dostoevsky's Brothers Karamazov, which I started over break. It's an interesting book that has a lot of great themes to wrestle with, that I wouldn't have really reflected upon had I not seen them in a narrative, which has real people dealing with real problems. You don't need to finish it while school is going on, but have it handy for when you need to take a break or have a spare moment. Consider always keeping this book in your bag. Also reading stimulates the imagination and encourages creativity whilst rejuvenating the soul.

II. Find prominent author in your study and "become their disciple," as Dr. Marshall told me. I'm letting Hans Urs von Balthasar take me under his wing this semester as I read his enlightening little tome Love Alone is Credible. As an artist, I've always been sensitive to the Beauty of God and His Creation, and so I have an affinity for Balthasar's theology (I'll see how far I can get in it, but starting off, things are going swimmingly). We all need perspective (Wahrnehumung: a place to take truth) in our studies, so find someone who agrees with you and stand from their spot and dwell there (εθος: ethos means dwelling place) and contemplate a mystery with them.

III. Get a daily prayer schedule. I book end my day with Christian Prayer with Morning Prayer (after waking or breakfast), Evening Prayer (after dinner), and Night Prayer (beside). The attention I pay to God directly correlates to the direction I pay my friends. If I can't take time to talk to God, turn my problems over to him, ask for encouragement, solution, and spiritual growth, everyone else will suffer. I would make them deal with my problems that I should've talked about with God. I believe we need friends for encouragement and guidance, but if God doesn't take the brunt of it you're asking another human being to, and our friends have crosses of their own to bear.

IV. Enjoy your favorite beverage. Fr. likes to have tea everyday at the same time to give some order, relaxation, and recreation to his day. Taking time out for a warm cup of tea or a thick mug of coffee is very much recreation to me. It re-creates me, brings me back together when my day tries to scatter me. Don't just drink it, but enjoy it. Try and pick a time of day where you can enjoy a cup or two. Whether it's in the morning before it all gets going, the afternoon for a little break, or at night to wind down, we need to little pleasures like these to structure our day. You'll discover that a cup of something warm is often a simple pleasure but a profound joy. You may also enjoy einen Maß with Pope Benedikt as pictured above. Look how he savors it and contemplates the grand mysteries of life, God, and reality over at liter of glorious brew.

V. Wake up earlier. Chesterton once wrote, "Daybreak is a never-ending glory, getting out of bed is a never-ending nuisance," and this is often the case true, but it shouldn't be. So often we feel that our days roll exponentially faster and it's hard to stay on top of this ball. Getting up early is so satisfying, because you're up and moving while the world still has the wool pulled over its eyes. Going to daily Mass at St. Thomas (7:30am AQ folks, 8pm Wednesdays) starts my day with a sense of peace and holiness. I just think, before Aquinas was awake, I was with my Lord. Even on days when I don't get to go to morning Mass, I still feel satisfied watching the world wake and welcoming friends and even the sun to this new day with a cheerful "Good morning!" How many people would have a better day if it started before work did?

I hope these can help you throughout this new semester. I'm trying them on myself. God bless with life, prayer, work, and studies.

Tübingen Wörter
Nomina
Zartheit: tenderness
Entwicklung: development

Verben
zacken: to jab/point
jmdn. ermutigen (ermutigte, ermutigt): to encourage someone.

No comments: