Friday, January 1, 2010

From the Study to the Studio

Today my dad and I fixed my windshield wipers so that they squirt. My manliness has been wanting to fix something for a while and it reveled in the chance to tinker with my dad. There was a oily-handed hi-five which sealed this male bonding.

My manliness has also been hungry for steak, which it's getting tonight. I'm gonna help Mutti (mom) with the mushrooms, potatoes, and such. So my manhood is edified while I'm also bonding and cooking with my mom. Score.

Despite all these domestic delights, I've been distracted by GR. I started looking at houses for next year. I'm so excited because the Grand Rapids around Aquinas has so many eclectic and quaint houses. Please God, let us find one with a fireplace. I found one that was on Hollister that I thought was pretty cool. It's a charming red house with a ample front porch (a must). I've seen it before . . . it's right next to Rowsters.

That revelation unfortunately turned me to the thought that I'm almost out of coffee. Scheiße. I miss making coffee. Being in a place where I can waft the aroma of roasting coffee. Where touchingly extracted espresso and velvety milk are right at hand. I love letting coffee be my medium and my craft and me being an artisan.

I remember a friend of mine constantly reminds me that I should be an Art major, but artistry, your aesthetic perspective, is something you take with you where ever you go. In his Poetics, Aristotle recognizes that in life you can live your life in thinking, doing, or creating. The creative life is the poetic life (poiētiké).His poetic life synthesizes all sorts of words, ideas, things, and experiences in order to be “a beginning of change in something else.”

I see theology as a medium. I like to turn my study into my studio. Theology should strike people as beautiful, because as Dostoevsky wrote "The world will be saved through beauty." I haven't drawn as much as I would like, but be it theology, conversations, life, or even coffee I don't think I've ever stopped trying to be an artist.



"An artist cannot fail. It is a success just to be one."
-CH Cooley (Thanks to Richard App for telling me this)

Tübingen Wörter
Wort: die Auswirkung: Impact
Verb: schöpfen (schöpfte, geschöpft): to create (something)

No comments: