Saturday, March 13, 2010

Much Work to Do

Considering my diligent working through Hesse and my reading spontaneously dropped German phrases in theological and philosophical contexts, I think my German is coming along blessedly. But today I decided to let my introduce my Theological Major (advanced in years and reading) to my newly sprouting German Minor (still finding its way through the world) by introducing him to Hans, only to exclaim has I have done previously, that Hans, You've Done it Again!

I've been reading a lot of Hans Urs von Balthasar over my Spring Break (a couple articles or chapters a day) especially in his views on eschatology. I've been increasingly perturbed by the allusions of these theologians to his dissertation ,,Geschichte des eschatologischen Problems in der modernen deutschen Literatur'' (History of the Eschatological Problems in Modern German Literature). I've read so many quotes from it, but have searching in vain today and yesterday in finding it online . . . until now.
Why did I not think to look at Johannes Verlag (John's Publisher) for John's Dissertation? I found it here and hungrily began reading the abstract at the bottom, only to find my German vocab still has a long way to go before devouring the 270 Seiten (page) work. This self-inflicted theo-germanistic ass-kicking can be mine for the low-low price of 18 Euros. I'll keep my eyes peeled in Tübingen. This labor seems incredibly daunting, but for now its a labor a love, and a great theologian once said "Love Alone is Credible."

Heres my vocab from the abstract . . .

greifen (griff, gegriffen): to grab (er grieft)
enthüllen (enthüllte, enthüllt): to disclose
verbergen (verbarg, verborgen): to burry
beichte (beichtete, beichtet): to confess
jmdn. berufen (berieft, berufen): to appoint someone
etw. berufen: to convene something
fassen (faßte, gefaßt): to accomodate, conceive, believe, hold . . . oh fassen, wait til we put some prefixes on you.
ausführen (führte aus, ausgeführt): to accomplish
etw. vermögen (vermochte, vermocht/vermögen)
: to be able to do something
beanspruchen (beanspruchte, beansprucht): to claim, stress,
heranreifen (heifte heran, herangereift): to mature
vorwitzig: meddlesome
erstaunlich: amazing, astonishing
uferlos: shoreless
zähmbar: tamable
die Haltung: attitude
der Anlauf: attempt
die Erläuterung: commentary/explanation
die Fülle: abundance
das Zeugnis: the attestation, credentials pl., testimony
mangels + Gen.: for want of

No comments: