Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Projekt Tübingen


So, I'm studying abroad in April to the Universität in Tübingen, which is in South-West Germany. I've never thought about studying abroad until this year. My parents said that they were going on a family vacation in Germany, or as my grandparents called it, "zeh olt country." I figured I would rather stay there for 3 months and snag a German minor, rather than just going on vacation for a week.

My reasons for going to Deutschland, besides connecting with my heritage.
I. Get a German minor, which will really help me with my Theology major. Proficiency in German means I can read philosophers like Nietzsche, Husserl, and Heidegger and theologians like Ratzinger and Balthasar in their original language. Right on.
II. Pope Benedict XVI was the chair of Theology at the Uni Tübingen and I might get to audit a theology class while I'm there.
III. Bike through Southern Germany and camp.
IV. Learn Hochdeutsch (standard German) as well as dabble in dialects such as Schwäbisch, Allemanisch, and Bayerisch (what my grandfather grew up speaking).

Recently (kürzlich), I figured I need to build up my vocab and "verbcab" before going. Not a lot of people know this, but German is pretty frustrating for English speakers. The English lexicon is primarily Romantic (French/Latin) and has forgotten the difficulties of Germanic grammar and replaced much of their Germanic vocabulary. I haven't found a German word of the day program yet, so I've devised my own.

Every day (täglich)
I. One German Word
II. One German Verb

Except Sunday. Sunday is when I take my 6 words and verbs and use them in a paragraph.
I'm a day behind so I'm going to do two today.
I hope to do this every day, so I can be able to articulate the beauty that is Tübingen in the beauty that is the German language. What you think German's ugly? Psssh, I beg to differ.

No comments: