Sunday, February 14, 2010

Neue Musik (I)

So I've fallen into total Deutschification this week, which resulted in me getting a new grammar book and three German CD's. This is no easy task. Do you have any idea how hard it is to track down German music? I went to Laut.de and it took me forever to sort out the German bands lost in the shuffle of American groups. You'd think something called Laut.de would make it easy to find laut German musicians nein?

So I'll begin by introducing you to Clueso. Who is a very young looking, yet very talented and diverse musician. I bought his CD So Sehr Dabei which translates to "So very close." This is full of artful layerings of acoustic guitar, subtle integration of keyboard, weaving and sincere vocals, and often deep hooks and great syncopated drumming. I was surprised by the diversity of this album, especially coming from the position of an American looking desperately for something that isn't an antiquated political song or Rammstein. This is pretty laid back stuff but it can still shake you.

Barfuß (Barefoot): Listen to the depth in the acoustic layers.
Gewinner (Winner): These lyrics play off eachother really well (rhythmically and semantically) and the repetition leaves a great impression.
Keinen Zentimeter ("Not even a" centimeter) This song has a slightly rockier quality and a drastically lame video, sorry. Nice hook and blending of those rock textures between guitar, piano, and a dynamic drumset.

Enjoy.

No comments: